Monday, October 24, 2011

Poison (Candy) Apples

Look what I found, so excited! Those of you who read my Creme Egg Macarons post at Easter know how much I love creme eggs. I've never ever found these in Austalia before, its so awesome to get creme eggs twice a year, plus they look really cool in halloween colours and have pumpkins on them. Oh and they're slime green coloured inside! Head to Big W if you want some.
Now onto the Poison apples. I have been scared of toffee for a long time, a friend and I tried making toffees when I was little, we ended up with burnt toffee all over her kitchen and I've steered clear since. When I was asked to make toffee apples for a display a couple weeks ago I was a little worried, I finally made myself buy a candy thermometer to ease my fears and everything worked perfectly. I have made candy apples three times since, I cant get enough, I'm totally loving the whole crunchy toffee outside crispy apple inside bit.
I'm going to tell you a secret, Poison Apples are just black candy apples. I know toffee apples are pretty common at this time of year, I decided to make them a little different and more Halloweeny by colouring them black and using real sticks instead of popsticks. (My step-by-step pictures are of red candy apples).

  • For the Candy Apples

8 apples (this with vary depending on the apple size)
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon black liquid food colouring
A stick for each apple (washed and dried)

To make the Candy Apples- wash and dry the apples, push a stick into the top of each apple. Line two baking trays with non-stick paper.
Place the sugar and water into a heavy-based saucepan, cook over low heat, stirring until the sugar had dissolved. Once the sugar has dissolved increase the heat to high and bring to a boil,
stir in the cream of tartar and the food colouring.

Reduce the heat to low and allow the toffee to simmer for about 20 minutes until it reaches hard crack stage (150 degrees c/ 300 degrees f). To test the toffee, drop a small amount into a glass of cold water, when you take it out it should not be sticky and should crack easily. Once the candy tests right remove it from the heat straight away.
Holding the pan on an angle, dip the apple into the toffee, turn the apple until it is totally coated.
Allow a little of the excess toffee to drip off and place onto the prepared trays. Continue with the rest of the apples. Allow the candy apples to set at room temperature.
They're best eaten the day they are made, Enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. Tee hee - we've got the scream eggs over here too, I had to try one! I have to admit I was slightly disappointed with the green slime, mine was just a streak and I expected more of a dollop if you know what I mean. Still tasted good though ;0)
    And I'm loving the toffee apples, especially the twig approach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. candy apples were scary for me the first time too, but now I love making them, I do really love the use of real sticks. I can't believe it's hard for you to get creme eggss, we even get them in bar form here x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure about this but I think this might be screme eggs first year everywhere! I've certainly not seen them around here in the UK before. I had one of the normal-sized ones last week and I didn't think it was as nice as the creme eggs but I can't figure out why. Maybe I prefer the flavour of the orange colouring?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I found the little slime eggs at Target the other day and was a bit excited. Love you poison apples they look deliciously gruesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those eggs! Green slime haha. Your poison apples are spooktakular!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh - love those eggs. I haven't seen those in Canada. Great idea for the apples - love it!

    ReplyDelete